Home » Posts » October 28th

October 28th

Please submit by October 31st on our class website. 

Research your question.  What have others done to respond to this sort of problem? Use the resources from this course or any others that you have come across in your practice. 

Write an action plan for how you might enact a change in the cooperating classroom. (This can be a very small change.)

I have included my model here.

Please also include your intervention here, so that your classmates can benefit from your work.

1. From my research, I have learned a few strategies for providing support to my students who struggle in multiplication while trying to solve equations and word problems. I plan to start off simple, with physical manipulatives so that students can work it out that way. Another strategy I will use is drill and practice multiplication facts. I will provide multiplication worksheets for the students to use based on the multiplication facts they’re struggling with. I will also have the students create their own index cards to practice their multiplication facts. The last strategy we will do is using S.O.L.V.E for solving word problems. It stands for study the problem, organize the facts, list the steps, verify with action, examine your results. I will take extra time on this to practice with students on how to study a word problem by circling important information and underline what the problem is asking you. After that, we will follow the rest of the method to help solve our word problems.

2. From my research, I learned some techniques that can help my student, some being using yes and no index cards. I can also give the student at least 5 seconds to get his thoughts together and composed, since a student that is a selective mute, might have social anxiety so he needs time. Another technique I can use is rephrasing the question and waiting for a response. Other strategies listed were giving written praises, and giving them a partner that will help them during class. Teachers can also give the student an option to participate in the class in a non-verbal way.
    Action plan-
    Give the student a yes and no index card.
    Give the student manipulatives to use for grouping.
    Give the student at least 5 seconds to respond to one of my questions.
    Rephrasing the questions that involve grouping.
    I will give him a sheet with numbers 1-100. So if I ask questions such as “Can you point and show me how to count by 5s”
    “Can you show me a row of 5 counters?”, “Can you show me a column of 2?”, after asking the question, I would wait a few seconds for him to answer me.

3. For my research, I had found several strategies that can be used to help ELL students solve addition and subtraction word problems. Some of these strategies include using vocabulary cards to focus on key terminology commonly mentioned in the word problems. Another strategy I found when researching was teaching the students to underline or highlight important parts in a word problem to focus on what is being asked, this along with re-reading the questions several times will help the students figure out if it is an addition or subtraction problem. Lastly another strategy I found was the use of manipulatives. Using unifix cubes, counters, etc. can help students solve and understand word problem by having them visualize the numbers.

Action plan- For my research I will be showing the children vocabulary cards. On one side of the card it will showcase a phrase such as “what is the difference” . With the opposite side of the card indicating that this phrase is commonly used in a subtraction problem. I plan to use this strategy to enact a change in my classroom, where students can better recognize if a word problem is asking them to use addition or subtraction.

4. My research question is how can I best support student teachers by incorporating technology into the classroom.
    There are a variety of websites that student teachers can use to engage their students. This can be integrated into the lesson, application and practice, and or homework. Technology is fun and exciting for students, increasing participation and engagement. The resources also replace class sets of math manipulatives and it gives every student a chance to learn and explore math at their own pace. This enables student teachers to include differentiation in their lessons. I would plan to create a few lesson plans that include some of the resources I have been researching and see how they relate to and reinforce the lessons being taught in the classroom. I’m sure that there are multiple studies that show the advantages of technological math integration from a statistical and educational standpoint. I plan to identify these relationships in research and include my own actions to prove these studies even further. I also noticed how some websites and resources include Mathematical Common Core standards, making these applications easier to link to the classroom.

https://mathsbot.com
    https://toytheater.com
    These are two examples and toy theater has CC standards directly related to some of the “games”.

5. From the research I have conducted I learned a variety of ways to help some of my students who are struggling a bit more in math to become better problem solvers by using a number line. I would first re-introduce the number line for those who still do not understand what it is and how to use it. I could do this by also showing a video. Once there is a basic understanding I will model for the student an example of using the number line to solve a multiplication problem. The student will then have a worksheet with various of multiplication problems and number lines for each one so they could solve them. If the student is struggling I would also have a dry erase number line board if they feel this is a better tool to use to solve the problems. After students have become accustomed to using the number line I would have a game to play where they use the number line to solve multiplication problems and decode the hidden message or word. Having fun ways to learn how to multiply using the number line is a great way to help this student who is struggling.

6. My research question is how can I help students understand and distinguish addition and subtraction word problems. While doing my research I learned a few ways that I can help my students understand word problems. One strategy I learned was to teach my students vocabulary words or key words that would help them understand if the word problem is addition or subtraction. Another one of the strategies I came across was the three read strategy to help my students understand the problem in different ways. Then lastly having the students create a visual picture so they understand how to solve it and how to write the equation for the question.
    Action plan- I will first go over key words that distinguish word problems from addition and subtraction. Next I will use the three read strategy to have students read the question with a different goal each time. Once they understand that part, I will ask them to draw a visual picture of the word problem so that they understand how to solve it. Finally, they will be able to write an equation about the problem.

7. My research question is, how can I help Student X differentiate different types of arithmetic word problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)? Others have tried to solve this problem by having the students reread the word problem and breaking it down. The students can highlight important words and numbers in the problem too. Some scholars think teachers should have students memorize key words that can help them identify what type of word problem is being presented. Other scholars do not find this method effective because these keywords are not present in every word problem.
    I will have students read the word problem once, then read it again while highlighting key words and numbers. After breaking it down, they should be able to identify what type of word problem it is. For example, if the problem includes the word “product” in it, they should know that this means to multiply. As we are completing each unit, I will emphasize the key words to look out for, and get the student in the habit of identifying it.

8. My research question is: How can I support English Language Learners in understanding word problems, specifically addition and subtraction?
    From my research, some strategies to help English Language Learners are to have them focus on key terminology, reading word problems slowly and carefully, break up the problem into smaller segments, sentence frames, provide visuals or draw pictures, allow students to act out the word problems, provide manipulatives, model an example word problem, and watch educational videos. I also learned about the 4-reading strategy from the class’ lecture.
    Action Plan
    1) Read the question slowly and carefully, pointing to each word I am reading.
    2) Underline key words such as altogether, how many in all, in total, more than, fewer, less, difference, sum, take away, etc.
    3) Circle the quantities
    4) Draw out a picture or use manipulatives
    5) Reread the question asked
    6) Write an equation and solve it
    If needed, for more assistance I would model an example word problem or have them watch an educational video.

9. For my research, I have learned numerous strategies that could help my English language learners understand addition and subtraction problems. The four read strategy is a great way for student X and Y to practice reading and solving math problems. Students X and Y will also be given flashcards with key math words both in English and Spanish to better help them become acquainted with key terminology. I will also be implementing the three act task which will help them break down the problems they are still struggling with. Students will also be shown how to use manipulative to help them solve the math problems with larger numbers.

10. For my action plan I researched ways to help students with multiplication. I found that students usually have problems in multiplication because they don’t know their facts. To help them I will create worksheets to test what they know and what they don’t know. I can see what multiplication table they need help with. I will also incorporate real life word problems, do number talks, videos and songs.

11. My research question changed and is now, how can I best support my English Language Learner student when solving addition and subtraction of decimals? When looking up strategies to support English Language Learners, a lot of them mentioned the same strategies. Some of these strategies include: vocabulary cards with pictures, manipulatives, sentence frames, and group or partner work.
    For my research, I have decided to work with manipulatives, base blocks, to work with an English Language Learner student when they are attempting to solve addition and subtraction of decimal questions. I would use a hundred base block to explain when adding decimals we shade in more squares and when we subtract we cross out squares. Once the student understands, I would provide a sentence starter so that the student is able to attempt and make sense of the question.

12. Research question: How can I help my lower-level students to have a better understanding of word problems and solve the multiplication in word problems

From my research, I have learned a few strategies to help my lower-level students to have a better understanding of word problems. The first strategy is to teach them to underline the word problem keywords, so they can first differentiate the word problems. The next strategy is to use visualizing or modeling the problem by drawing out the question or using some real-life scenarios to make them envision the question, this can help to make sure the students get to identify the actual question and the numbers to use. The third strategy is to ask the students to write out the number sentence so they are not confused.

Action plan- First of all, I will go over the question with the students, next step is to guide the student to underline the keywords in the word problem that can help them to identify the questions. After they underline those keywords, guide the students to visualize the problem by drawing the picture, for example, if the problem is talking about candy, then the student can draw out the candy and the number that is related to the picture. The student can have a clearer picture of what is the problem saying and asking by looking at the information they drew. Next step, guide the student to write out the number sentence, for example (30 x 6=?). By writing the number sentence, the student can solve the problem step by step and not confusing by a bunch of words and numbers within the word problem. Lastly, ask the students to see if they can explain the question to me and the steps they use to solve the question. I believe all these strategies are helpful for the lower-level students to have a better understanding of word problems. Last but not least, strengthening their knowledge and memorize of the multiplication table is essential, so the student can get their answer right by calculating it right, there is no point if the student can understand the question but calculate the number wrong.

13. From my research, I learned about Four Read Strategy to help English Language Learners to better understand the word problems as well as the 3-Act Tasks with an initial video. The 3-Act Task is a good way to teach students to understand the word problems in 3 separate steps and engage them into learning the word problems that involve videos inside. Video is an efficient way to let them understand the word problems and reduce their anxiety about reading word problems.
    But according to my situation, I decided to use the CUBES Math Word Problem Strategy to help my student break down the word problems piece by piece and help him to read the word problem carefully and slowly. He needs to pay more attention to the details inside the word problems before he starts to solve the problems.

14. I am student teaching in a 4th grade ICT room. Therefore, half of the class is general education while the other half is special education. Within the past few weeks, my special ed students have doing multiplication, addition, and subtraction problems.Many of these students with place value and regrouping. Base ten blocks are a tool that I have seen within my classroom, however, the students rarely use them. I believe that using these manipulative can help support my special needs students understanding of math problems. I learned many techniques to teach base ten blocks to my students: https://infonomics-society.org/wp-content/uploads/ijtie/published-papers/volume-6-2017/Helping-a-Special-Needs-Student-Learn-Place-Value-in-the-Hundreds.pdf

Action Plan:
    1) I will first introduce base 10 blocks to my students (flats=100),( rods= 10), (units= 1) and explain what each base represents.
    2) I will then model how the base 10 blocks can be used. For example: (15+13). I would demonstrate how we would take one rod (which equals 10) and five units( which each equal 1). I would then take another rod and three units, and add up the rods and units to get the answer 28.
    3) Next I will practice some more examples with my struggling students to prepare them for independent practice.
    4) Students will then complete problems in their math workbook by using the base ten blocks.
    Base ten blocks will help my students understand various math problems but making problems they can’t “see”, a visual representation.

15. Research Question- How can I help a lower level student (student X) gain a better understanding of number sense?

From my research, I have learned some strategies for helping lower level students gain a better understanding of number sense. For example, I learned that representation of numbers in important. This representation can make mathematical ideas “real” for the students. I also learned that using manipulative’s is helpful when trying to develop an understanding of number sense. Furthermore, I learned that teachers use both 5 frames and 10 frames to develop this sense.
    After researching, I decided I am going to work with this student on developing his number sense with the use of manipulative’s. With the use of manipulative’s I think this student will benefit. While researching I found that the use of manipulative’s is such a crucial part of their work with numbers and their number sense. Using manipulative’s focuses on the various ways that any given number can be broken up.

Action Plan- I will be using unifix cubes to work with the student gain number sense. I will take few numbers daily to work with and we will work together on the different ways a number can be broken up. For example on day 1 lets say I said we were working with the number 5, using 5 unifix cubes we can find all the ways 5 can be broken up (1 and 4, 2 and 3, 3 and 2 etc.). While the class is working on addition and subtraction word problems he struggles because he has very little number sense. I think working with him in this way will benefit him.

16. In my research I found multiple visual intervention strategies to help my student develop her number sense. The textbook mentioned noticing patterns with dot cards, and using literature, like the book Moose Tracks to create meaningful tasks. With dot cards, she can notice patterns and begin to recognize a number from its amount, and eventually subitizing. With a dice game, it increases engagement and continues to expose her to subitizing as she adds the numbers. Using a book will benefit her English development and provide an interdisciplinary action plan. My action plan includes these three elements in addition to modeling the task, translating into her native language, including visuals, and working one-on-one with this student on the 1st-grade Envisions curriculum. I will alternate between these three interventions in the before and during parts of the lesson.

17. From the research that I have done, I can best support teaching addition word problems to emergent bilingual students by using different kinds of manipulatives such as two-color counters, ten-frames, and unifix cubes. I can model an addition word problem by using these manipulatives to show the students how it is done. After I show them an example of me doing it, I will give them another problem to do independently so I can see if they are able to do it by themselves. After the independent work, I will give them another problem to do, but instead, I will tell them to work in a group because they will be able to help each other out and share their ideas with one another or even they can correct each other if one runs into a problem.

18. From the research I have done, in addition to observing the second grade class I am in, I learned many different ways to help my students become better problem solvers using a number line. (1-4 is from https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/problem-solving/)
    Go step-by-step throughout reading the problem (CUBES strategy from class)
    Model an example first- i can show the students a video on how a number line is constructed and used, and then do an example with the student/s before having them solve the problem on their own.
    Have the student then work independently while only providing minimal assistance.
    Design group work- after the students work independently, I can then have the few students that are struggling work together on a different word problem and share their thoughts and ideas on solving the word problem using the number line.
    Action plan→ I will be using the CUBES strategy and modeling an example to the struggling students. I will use both of these to enact a change in the classroom which is making my struggling students with number lines become better problem solvers using a number line→ making sure my students know how to use a number line to solve a problem.